Home Assistant Agent for Media Device Types?

Posted on
Thu May 09, 2024 9:28 am
durosity offline

Re: Home Assistant Agent for Media Device Types?

vtmikel wrote:
For me, I much prefer Indigo's structure of triggers, schedules, and action groups and this allows Indigo to remain my center for these automations.

I had a look at HA recently. Could not get my head around it. It felt so.. messy. Indigos structure is just infinitely better and more logical. And I’m now using this plugin to bring over some things that I could get in indigo before. Best of both worlds!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu May 09, 2024 9:41 am
vtmikel offline

durosity wrote:
vtmikel wrote:
For me, I much prefer Indigo's structure of triggers, schedules, and action groups and this allows Indigo to remain my center for these automations.

I had a look at HA recently. Could not get my head around it. It felt so.. messy. Indigos structure is just infinitely better and more logical. And I’m now using this plugin to bring over some things that I could get in indigo before. Best of both worlds!

I 100% agree. To each their own, but for me HA is purely a bridge to some devices that Indigo doesn't support natively. I have no automation in my HA config, and prefer to keep this logic in Indigo. I've also not done anything with the HA dashboards.

Posted on
Thu May 09, 2024 10:54 am
FlyingDiver offline

I should post this in a pinned post, but I'll put it here for now.

If you're using HA as a bridge to Indigo, do NOT install integrations, or create entities, that you do not absolutely need. Each entity created in HA sends ALL updates to Indigo. That can flood the HAA plugin and cause failures. I've actually seen an entity send a half-dozen updates in less than a second, all with the same time stamp. And I was only looking at a short segment of the event log.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu May 09, 2024 10:55 am
Colly online

vtmikel wrote:
durosity wrote:
vtmikel wrote:

I 100% agree. To each their own, but for me HA is purely a bridge to some devices that Indigo doesn't support natively. I have no automation in my HA config, and prefer to keep this logic in Indigo. I've also not done anything with the HA dashboards.
Ditto, works a treat for unsupported devices. Great plugin.

Posted on
Sat May 11, 2024 4:03 am
durosity offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
I should post this in a pinned post, but I'll put it here for now.

If you're using HA as a bridge to Indigo, do NOT install integrations, or create entities, that you do not absolutely need. Each entity created in HA sends ALL updates to Indigo. That can flood the HAA plugin and cause failures. I've actually seen an entity send a half-dozen updates in less than a second, all with the same time stamp. And I was only looking at a short segment of the event log.
Yeah, I’m running HA as a minimal bridge for various bits of data that I want to pull across that I can’t directly into indigo.

That said.. I was wanting to start publishing data across to HA to make use of the dashboards functionality which of course would increase the volume of entities in HA. Do you have any plans to be able to limit the data that is sent from HA to indigo or is it just a “that’s how it is” kinda situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat May 11, 2024 5:43 am
FlyingDiver offline

durosity wrote:
That said.. I was wanting to start publishing data across to HA to make use of the dashboards functionality which of course would increase the volume of entities in HA. Do you have any plans to be able to limit the data that is sent from HA to indigo or is it just a “that’s how it is” kinda situation?

First, the HAA plugin does not push indigo devices to HA. You would have to use the HassBridge plugin to do that, and it's VERY limited on the devices it will push. And I have no intention of ever adding functionality to that plugin. I did the port to Python3 for existing users, and that's it.

Second, the only way to limit the devices would be to subscribe to updates for specific entities (rather than all entities). Doing that would loose the "discovery" process of entities, which would mean no pop-ups for picking entities to pull into Indigo. So, on balance, no I won't be doing that either.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat May 11, 2024 5:51 am
durosity offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
durosity wrote:

First, the HAA plugin does not push indigo devices to HA. You would have to use the HassBridge plugin to do that, and it's VERY limited on the devices it will push. And I have no intention of ever adding functionality to that plugin. I did the port to Python3 for existing users, and that's it.

Second, the only way to limit the devices would be to subscribe to updates for specific entities (rather than all entities). Doing that would loose the "discovery" process of entities, which would mean no pop-ups for picking entities to pull into Indigo. So, on balance, no I won't be doing that either.
Yeah I’m aware of it not pushing devices to HA. I was actually planning on pushing them using HomeKitLink and then read that into HA using its ability to pair with HomeKit devices (I’ve tested it with a modified version of the indigo plugin and it actually <i>seems</i> to work really well)

As for reading in from HA, that’s kinda what I thought. I may well try it out anyway.. hopefully the volume of devices won’t be too big, and both systems are running on the same Mac Studio which doesn’t really do much else so hopefully it won’t cave under the weight!

Thanks for the heads up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.